Membership FAQs

Will volunteering interfere with work or school?

Our members run nights starting at 1800 and weekend days starting at 0600.  You should be able to find a time to volunteer that does not interfere with work or school.

What if I’m not certified as an EMT?

We will provide all training necessary for you to become certified as an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) or EMR (First Responder). All training is free of charge and most training is provided at the Loudoun County Fire Rescue Training Center.

How much do I have to pay for training and gear?

All required training and most gear is provided free of charge.

Do you have to be a certain age to be a volunteer member?

High school students are required to be at least 16 years of age.  We have no upper limit on age for operational members as long as you can pass the required physical.

What are the other requirements for volunteering?

We check your fingerprints, criminal history and driving records and you must pass certain criteria concerning the results.  You must speak fluent English. If you are not a citizen of the US you need to provide proper documentation for being in the US. You must pass a physical given by Inova Occupational. You must understand and agree to the time commitment involved, especially when taking EMT class.

How much time does volunteering take away form the rest of my life?

Quite a bit if you ask any of our volunteers. Besides committing to a minimum number of volunteer hours per month, a significant amount of time is required when taking EMT classes and when precepting after class is finished.  Attendance at monthly training sessions and membership meetings is also required. There are also special events and severe weather situations that may require additional volunteer participation.

What do you do at night waiting for calls?

We have male and female bunkrooms and you can sleep between calls.  When a call comes in, an alarm sounds to wake you up.

What about insurance? Am I covered in case I get hurt?

If a volunteer is injured while on duty their medical expenses may be covered, if found compensable, by the county sponsored Worker’s Compensation Plan.

Is there a tax benefit?

Loudoun County provides a Personal Property Tax Reduction for our squad members if they meet station requirements to qualify for the tax reduction.

When can I start riding on the ambulance?

After you are voted into probationary membership as an operational member and have completed required volunteer orientations and training classes.

What is the process to become a member?

Please refer to the tab describing the Application Process

I’m interested in becoming a member but need more information. What do I do?

Complete the Membership Interest Form and the membership committee will contact you.
Click here for our Membership Interest Form